The reward fund offered in exchange for information that can lead to the arrest of the suspect in shooting dead a young boy on a California freeway last week has already reached $300, 000.
In an interview with Fox News, Orange county Board Supervisor spokeswoman Lisa Barlett said that a $100, 000 reward money was approved by the board.
An additional $50, 000 was offered by the 6-year-old victim. A nameless donation, an Orange County businessmen group, and another anonymous source pitched in $50, 000 each, which collected the total amount to $300, 000.
The victims, Aiden Leos, lost his life in a shooting which occurred in a road-rage attack on Friday at Orange, California’s 55 freeway. Joanna Cloonan, his mother, shared to KNSD-TV that she was travelling with her child to school when they were flagged down by a white Volkswagen.
“As I was merging away from the carpool lane, I heard a loud noise and I heard my son say ‘ow’ and I pulled the car over as soon as possible, and he had been shot,” the victim’s mother said.
Cloonan said that the bullet pierced through her vehicle’s trunk and hit Leos, who, at that time was at a rear passenger side, being fastened to his booster seat.
“I tried to save him by calling 911, but he was losing a lot of blood… he just didn’t deserve that. No one deserves that.”
On Sunday, Leos’ family made available a GoFundMe page following the creation of another crowdfunding page. So far, the page gathered more than $242, 000.
A part of the amount raised through the page will be allotted for the reward fund, the family said, talking to Los Angeles’ Fox 11.
A tip line by the California Highway Patrol can be reached through 714-567-6000 or firstname.lastname@example.org for any information regarding the incident.