California State Governor Gavin Newsom acknowledged the threat of the recent mob of rioters who supported President Donald Trump and previously raided the United States Capitol, forcing the official to cancel his scheduled COVID-19 update on Wednesday.

Newsom expressed his concern for the safety of all the politicians affected by the mob’s raid as well as U.S. Capitol staff. He also offered to provide support in any way that he could. Newsom cancelled his scheduled update out of concern for his own staff.

Against Democracy

“Peaceful protest is an important mechanism of our democracy, but what we are witnessing in our nation’s Capitol building is reprehensible and an outright assault to our democracy and Democratic institutions,” Newsom said in his statement.

Newsom’s cancellation of his update came as the state experienced one of its worst days of the COVID-19 pandemic. John Hopkins University’s compiled data showed a daily death of 354 people, the highest weekly average since March, which is about 49% higher than last week.

One of Newsom’s spokesperson said that officials urged capitol staff to work from their homes after the horrific attack. He added that since the raid, the protesters have not stayed on the grounds and have caused no further damage, CNBC reported.

On Twitter, the Sacramento Police Department said they had arrested 11 people for illegal possession of pepper spray. Authorities noted that some of the individuals came into physical altercations with the officers. Police officials ordered officers to remain in the area despite the demonstrators dispersing from the U.S. Capitol.