Santa Rose Fire Department says it was illegal fireworks that started a fire on the roof of the Johnny Franklin’s Muffler building late Monday night.
Shortly after 11:40 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to the 1300 block of Santa Rosa Avenue, where they contained the fire to the one-story building’s roof.
The Santa Rosa Fire Department announced that the building was not occupied then, and there were no injuries. However, the damage caused by the blaze is estimated to be $20,000.
Investigators claimed that the fire was due to illegal fireworks as large boxes of large mortar-style fireworks were found in the parking lot behind the building.
All fireworks are illegal in the city of Santa Rosa. While in California, fireworks classified as dangerous are illegal, including mortar-style fireworks.
Assistant Fire Marshal Mike Johnson says that using dangerous fireworks can lead to a fine of $1,000 or arrest under state laws.