Illinois Bowling Alley Shooting Terrifies Residents Stuck Inside, Experiences ’15 Minutes of Terror’

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on email

According to the witnesses on Saturday’s attack inside the Don Carter Lanes, a gunman opened fire as they hid with fear.

Bowling Alley Shooting

Matthew Rider, one of the residents inside the bowling alley, said, “It was just 15 minutes of terror.” The attack nearly cost many civilians their lives and would never be forgotten.

Another victim, Amanda Hollenback, said in a statement that as the first shot went off, they heard another three rounds, and in an instant, everyone realized what was happening and took shelter. Hollenbeck added that as they continued to hide, they could hear the gunshots get closer and closer. With the couple’s quick thinking, they immediately called 911 to report the attack.

Rider recalled the situation where they hid behind a wooden crate, and people were screaming and crying due to fears of being killed. He noted that at the time, the gunman had already fired off at least two dozen shots throughout the night.

Hollenbeck and Rider started calling their loved ones as they feared the worst to happen. “Mom, I love you. There’s an active shooter. I gotta go, but I want you to know I love you.” One of the Hollenbeck said, talking to her mother during the shooting.

The situation became a permanent memory of the couple’s lives. “There was blood going all the way out to the parking lot. There was a dead body at the top of the stairs. We had to walk past it,” KRON4 reported.

Authorities successfully captured a suspect for the shooting. “Right when you saw that picture of him, you recognized him?”

In their statement, the couple said they would forever be grateful for the officers who first responded to the attack. 

Rider noted how grateful he was to the police officer that he first saw during the incident. He was thankful to the Rockford Police Department for saving their lives.