Job title: Customer Reliability Engineer
Job description: More and more companies are using GitHub Enterprise, so the support team is growing. When our customers have problems, they contact us and it is our goal to help them as quickly and awesomely as possible. We’re growing our team of Customer Reliability Engineers to help ensure the technical success of our largest and most complex customer deployments, comprised of on-premise installations of GitHub Enterprise Server and GitHub Enterprise Cloud.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Work with assigned customers via support tickets and/or real-time interaction (phone/screen sharing) to solve technical issues related to their usage of GitHub products.
- Act as single point of contact for technical issues with ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex issues independently.
- Gather metrics around tickets, issues, training needs, and so on for your assigned accounts for quarterly business reviews.
- Collaborate with the Support and Engineering teams to resolve product issues requiring code changes.
- Lead incident response for outages affecting assigned customers, followed by delivery of postmortem reports.
Tickets are usually opened by customer system administrators, and can include investigating load or networking issues, debugging application errors, and discussing feature requests. You’ll also work with our engineering team to prioritize issues and development, and our documentation team to improve customer-facing resources. You don’t need to be a Git expert, but you do need to have technical experience and a passion for helping people.
GitHub works remotely and asynchronously as much as possible. While this role does not require you to live near our office, it will require some travel to meet with co-workers or attend company events. This role may require working non-standard working hours, including weekends and holidays on-call as part of a team-wide rotation.
- Act as a single point of contact for specific enterprise customers to provide performance, and best practice advice and assessment related to GitHub and customer’s infrastructure.
- Understand and maintain documentation around the customer infrastructure, workflows, and configuration of GitHub Enterprise Server or GitHub Enterprise Cloud environment.
- Provide phone coverage during shift for Premium Support customers.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other teams at GitHub when additional expertise is needed to resolve customer issues.
- Provide guidance and assistance with customer support tickets often involving Linux servers, source code, and web application issues.
- Manage customer incidents and outages, including joining Zoom/screen share sessions for live triage.
- Perform incident postmortems, ticket analysis, and system health checks for Premium Support customers as needed.
- Lead quarterly business reviews for the assigned accounts by presenting metrics, data, and health check summary and recommendations.
- Organize and lead weekly/bi-weekly touchpoints with assigned accounts to review ongoing Support issues and projects.
- Work proactively with customers on activities such as coordinating upgrades and ensuring their installation is running smoothly.
- Set-up and onboard new assigned customers into the program.
- Work with Sales to outline the GitHub Premium Support program and features to potential customers.
- Provide weekend on-call support as part of the team rotation (8 hour shifts, during normal work hours).
- 5+ years of experience in positions related to customer advocacy and/or technical implementation/systems management.
- Previous experience as performing Linux system administration and working experience with common tools like Docker, systemd, openssl, etc…
- Familiarity with some flavor of production-level virtualization platform and/or cloud provider (e.g., VMware ESX, KVM, AWS, Azure).
- Proficiency with and/or ability to understand and update code and scripts (Shell, Ruby, Go).
- Proficiency in common applications in the web application stack like HAProxy, Nginx, MySQL, and Unicorn .
- Excellent analytical skills & problem solving skills, combined with the ability to provide quick resolution to problems.
- Exceptional verbal and written organizational, presentation, and communication skills.
- Must be customer service oriented and believe in teamwork, collaboration, adaptability, and initiative.
- Competitive & competitively aware. Proficient at explaining strengths & vulnerabilities.
- Willingness to travel periodically based on customer and business need (up to 10%).
- Enthusiasm for working directly with customers, and building a deep understanding of what makes their tools work.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
Bonus points if you have…
- Worked closely with large complex customer accounts in a technical capacity.
- Deep knowledge of Git, GitLFS, and GitHub.
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails.
- Experience providing real-time, customer-facing support (phone/screen sharing).
- Proven experience successfully managing customer engagements to completion and customer satisfaction.
- Previous experience providing on-site consulting or professional services.
*For Colorado only- Minimum salary of $73,500 to maximum $136,500 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together-as individuals and in teams-to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Apply for this Job
First Name *
Last Name *
Location (City) *
Drop files here
Drop files here
What is your GitHub handle?
In which of the following countries are you legally authorized to work in? *
Will you now or in the future require visa sponsorship for employment? *
If you answered yes, please provide more information.
Please provide your current location: *
Why do you want to work at GitHub? *
Why do you feel you would be a fit for this role? *
Have you ever worked remotely before? *
What do you think are some of the challenges of working remotely, and how would you address them? *
How did you hear about this job? *
Do you currently or have you ever worked for LinkedIn, Microsoft, or one of Microsoft’s affiliates? *
If yes, which company and in what capacity?
GitHub has my consent to collect, store, and process my data for the purpose of considering me for employment, and for up to 365 days thereafter. *
Location: San Francisco, CA – Colorado
Job date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 05:30:51 GMT
Apply for the job now!