Job title: Staff Software Engineer
Job description: About Minted Engineering
We are a growing, hands-on, flat organization. Our engineers take on multiple roles and challenges across several domains and tech stacks. Regardless of who you are on the engineering team, you will contribute to and have a big impact on the final product from day one. We have a strong culture of mentoring and promoting from within, as well as a project roadmap that enables us to cross-train and learn from one another. We place a lot of emphasis on good engineering practices while retaining the flexibility of allowing each engineering team to have independent agile processes. Diversity is important to us, and we treat each other with respect and empathy.
We are a metrics-driven organization and strive to measure the impact of every feature and improvements we make. We believe in true internal transparency and share information widely across teams and departments. We believe that an engineer who fully understands the business considerations and long-term vision builds better products.
About the Role
We want a Staff Engineer to join one of our outstanding high performing teams. If you join us, you will be working on projects that further the architecture goals of Minted’s software stack, including:
- Making “doing the right thing” and “doing the expedient thing” the same thing.
- Shortening the code/debug cycle for engineers across the organization.
- Reducing complexity.
- Improving the ability to reason about the software.
- Increasing re-use.
To take (only a few) examples, you might:
- Build out a language-independent type library used by engineering teams across the company.
- Research, architect, build and operationalize a system to detect outdated vendor software. Make tools that let engineers upgrade without toil.
- Develop strategies and tools to reduce developer errors when building and connecting to services.
- Be the vanguard in creating the first working examples of improved engineering workflow patterns for testing or deployment.
You should have many of the following:
- 5+ years professional experience as a software developer
- BS in Computer Science or equal experience
- Voracious aptitude for learning
- Strong programming skills in more than one language
- Passion for simplicity, code craftsmanship, and design
- Ability to understand business problems and synthesize types which accurately model them
- Ability to author cogent and terse written communication
- Solid understanding of reliability and scalability issues with distributed systems on unreliable hardware
- Desire to ship greater than desire to polish
- Experience designing complex software systems and predicting scope and risks
What will make you stand out if you have them, and what you might have opportunities to learn if you don’t:
- Experience with
and Redux * Experience working in a fast-paced, agile e-commerce environment
- Understanding of service-oriented architectures and how to build them
- Experience with event-driven systems using technologies such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, AWS SQS, etc.
- Theoretical knowledge of database performance, durability and consistency, ideally with distributed data stores
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and/or Google Cloud Platform, specifically storage services and compute services
- Experience with Packer, Docker, Ansible, Kubernetes
- Experience with CDNs
What our team is saying…
“I am a software engineer at Minted and I am working on improving their systems. The size of the company is just right. It enables me to have a voice and make big changes. I am working on improving and modernizing the order fulfillment area.
You have the opportunity to see the impact you have made live in production.
You are able to work on larger changes in one of several programming languages.
You work on building systems using state of the art architecture.”
“I’ve been supporting the artist community via the self launch project; adding new product kinds for them to be able to launch in their store or during design challenges, and will eventually modernize the process. The community aspect and the mission of the company, as well as all the people I got to interact with during the interview process re-assured me that the culture was something I would love to be a part of. There is a mixture of different programming languages and concepts and will be able to contribute to the code base in many different ways.”
“What attracted me to Minted was the arts! As a musician and creative person, I wanted to work for a company that gives back to the artist community. I love working in an environment that values creativity as well as intelligence.
On the Community team, we have a lot of “Rebuild” projects in the works across the stack for community pages.
Everyone at Minted is so supportive, intelligent and creative. It is such a welcoming environment. Minted loves utilizing the newest and best technologies, so it’s an environment that fosters continuous learning.”
Minted is a design marketplace, sourcing creative content from independent artists around the globe and selling the best designs to the world in the form of art, home decor, and stationery. Founded in 2007 by Mariam Naficy on the principles of transparency and putting design first, we are early pioneers of crowdsourcing having launched our first design challenge in April 2008 and have held monthly art and design challenges ever since. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to learn more. Our corporate headquarters is located near the waterfront in downtown San Francisco, with additional offices in Oakland and Kansas City and we’re backed by Benchmark Capital, IDG Ventures SF, Menlo Ventures, Primera (angel investors include Marissa Mayer of Yahoo and Jeremy Stoppelman of Yelp). We’re a team of smart, ambitious, creative, and passionate people who come from all walks of life. Might you be one of us?
Minted is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusion and diversity. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and will consider all qualified applicants for employment in accordance with all state, local, and federal laws. Minted participates in the E-verify program. Minted’s Job Applicant .
Location: San Francisco, CA – Oakland, CA
Job date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 05:50:53 GMT
Apply for the job now!