A van full of marijuana exploded and caught fire on Highway 101.
According to Santa Rosa Fire Department, firefighters saw the flaming van on Highway 101’s onramp at 3rd Street at 9:34 a.m.
Fire crews were able to douse the fire and found “several 55-gallon bags full of marijuana ‘shake’ soaked in butane.” SFRD said the driver suffered from burn injuries and was taken to a hospital.
Butane is a highly explosive material used to convert marijuana plants into oil, also known as “dabs” or “wax.”
The Santa Rosa Fire HazMat Team assisted SRPD with the explosion investigation and ensured additional hazards were mitigated before reopening the onramp.