California’s Franchise Tax Board is sending out $600 stimulus checks as part of the Golden Gate stimulus agenda to every eligible individual, with married couples receiving $1,200 if filing jointly) which are being sent out in waves through direct deposits and paper checks.
The new payments come as a bonus to the Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS) third stimulus checks that could send up to $1,400 to every eligible person. The Golden Gate stimulus checks are part of the state’s $7.6 billion coronavirus relief package.
Officials are prioritizing residents considered as lower-income earners in one of the United State’s most expensive states.
The Golden Gate stimulus checks can give $600 checks to people who are California residents, have filed their 2020 taxes, and meet one of the following:
- Qualify for California’s earned income tax credit, or CalEITC, on their 2020 tax return.
- File with an Individual Tax Identification Number, or ITIN, and their California adjusted gross income, or CA AGI, is at most $75,000.
- Filed a joint return, either the person of their spouse filed with an ITIN, and their CA AGI was a maximum of $75,000.
People are eligible for the $1,200 stimulus checks if they are California residents, filed their 2020 taxes, and meet one of the following requirements.
- Are a CalEITC recipient, filed with an ITIN, and a CA AGI of at most $75,000.
- Filed a joint return, are a CalEITC recipient, the person or their spouse filed with an ITIN, and CA AGI is at most $75,000.
The Franchise Tax Board said the new stimulus checks would be given out two times per month. The agency would send out money to eligible residents who have filed 2020 tax returns.
The FTB has processed the stimulus checks of residents who have filed their state tax returns between January 1 and March 1. They could expect to receive their checks after April 15. The agency said paper checks could take about four to six weeks to arrive at your doorsteps, CNET reported.
For people who filed their state taxes after March 2, they can expect to receive their stimulus checks after 45 days for direct deposits, and up to 60 days for mailed checks. The delivery will be done after the FTB has finished processing the state tax returns.