The Trump administration recently announced it would withhold $200 million worth of Medicaid funding from California during the first quarter of next year due to the state’s mandate that required health insurance providers to include coverage for elective abortion.
$200 Million Fund Cut
Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar announced the news on Wednesday. He failed to recognize that President-elect Joe Biden would replace Trump’s administration on January 20. Previously, the HHS’s office sent a violation notice to California officials over the state requiring all insurance plans to cover elective abortions, arguing they do not have that authority under the Constitution.
Azar announced the cutting of funds during a White House event that celebrated the Trump administration’s efforts in fighting against abortion. The removed funds are used to support low-income individuals, disabled people, and the elderly with their health care coverage.
The HHS secretary said, “We’re taking enforcement action against the state of California for imposing universal abortion coverage mandates on health insurance in the state.” He said the massive amount of funding would be withheld from the state until California officials amend their policies, CBS News reported.
Additionally, Azar said the Justice Department sued a hospital in Vermont that allegedly forced a Catholic nurse to help with an abortion procedure. The Trump administration claims the woman announced her objections and said other nurses could have helped them.
During the White House event, Vice President Mike Pence said, “I believe with all my heart that everyone in this room right along with our president has made a difference for life.” He said the meeting was made to commemorate their achievements and progress under Trump’s presidency.