Two-Alarm Fire Injures 1, Traps 2 Dogs, Before Getting Rescued by Firefighters

1 min read

San Francisco’s National Hotel was the victim of a two-alarm fire beside the American Conservatory Theater’s Strand Theater near the Civic Center BART Station, which sent thick clouds of dark smoke across Market Street on Sunday.

Two-Alarm Fire

Authorities quickly evacuated the residents inside the building, with the fire injuring one person and trapping two dogs. County Supervisor Matt Haney posted on Twitter at around 6L26 p.m., saying the Red Cross was in the area providing support to the victims.

Fire officials were able to put the fire under control while continuing to completely extinguish it. There are 90 units of permanent supportive housing inside the National Hotel for city residents who were previously homeless, the Tenderloin Housing Clinic website said.

A video of the fire was posted on the San Francisco Firefighters Local 798 Twitter page showing flames on the lower backside of the building. The incident occurred in the 600 block of Odd Fellows Way at around 5:52 p.m, NBC Bay Area reported.

Fire officials were urging residents to avoid traveling to the area of the incident due to the risks of inhaling the smoke. People who lived nearby were asked to quickly shut off all of their windows to prevent the smoke from getting inside their homes.

Danielle Joyce Ong

Danielle is a local journalist with a passion for exploring stories related to crime and politics. When Danielle isn't busy writing or reading, she is usually exploring the great outdoors and all the hiking trails in the Bay.