James Charles and cosmetics brand Morphe have mutually decided to part ways in light of the sexual allegations made against Charles.
Friday, April 16, Morphe announced on its official Twitter page the ending of its partnership with the beauty guru.
“In light of the recent allegations against James Charles, Morphe and James have agreed to end our business relationship and wind down sales of the Morphe x James Charles product offering,” the brand said in a statement. “It is and has always been Morphe’s goal to create a positive, safe, and empowering space where all beauty lovers can freely share their artistry and passion for cosmetics, and Morphe is committed to furthering that goal.”
Additionally, Charles also released a statement on Twitter, addressing his alleged scandal and how the issues have impacted his partnerships. This statement came less than three weeks after the influencer apologized for sending “inappropriate messages” to underage fans on April 1.
“Accountability is something that I have spoken about a number of times in the past,” James began his statement on Friday, April 16. “In my recent video, I spoke about and took accountability for my part in conversations I had with a few individuals who told me they were over the age of 18. As I said in that video, I can’t show change overnight but will overtime.”
The beauty influencer explained that “a series of misleading stories and false allegations” have occurred, which resulted “many of my long-term partners to receive considerable negative feedback, one of them being Morphe.”
He also added that his legal team is “taking action against those that have spread misinformation and/or spread false stories.”
“I’ve loved every moment working together,” the social media star shared of his Morphe partnership, “and am beyond grateful for what we’ve created together. That being said, I reached out to them and we have mutually agreed to wind down our James Charles x Morphe collaboration, which is my only project with them.”
Charles’ collaboration with Morphe included eyeshadow palettes and brush sets.
He concluded, “I am continuing to take time away to learn, grow, and listen, and look forward to coming back one day in the future as a better version of myself.”
Charles’ Apology Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations
Earlier this month, Charles’ posted a 14-minute YouTube video, titled “Holding Myself Accountable,” where he addressed the controversies.
“First and foremost, I need to say sorry,” he began. “I owe a massive apology to anybody I have hurt or anybody I made uncomfortable with my actions. I want to make it really, really clear that I fully understand my actions and how they are wrong. There are no excuses for them and I don’t plan on making any.”
“Within the past couple of weeks, two different people, both under the age of 18, have recently come forward saying that they had inappropriate messages from me on social media. One of them being from last year and one of them being more recent,” he continued.
According to Charles, once he was made aware that both individuals were 16, he immediately blocked them and stop all communication.
However, one of the teens stated that he didn’t lie about his age.
All in all, James said, “I need to take accountability for my actions and most importantly apologize to the people who were hurt by them.”
“As an adult,” he continued, “it is my job and my responsibility to verify who I’m talking to and therefore there is nobody to blame for this other than myself. I’m sorry that I added you. I’m sorry that I flirted with you and I’m really sorry if I made you uncomfortable. It is completely unacceptable.”
Charles also denied the accusations that he “groomed” a minor on Snapchat back in February. He did admit to exchanging photos with a teen who he believed was 18.
Charles’ YouTube Channel Demonetized
A YouTube spokesperson shared to E! News that they have demonetized Charles’ YouTube channel.
“We can confirm that we had applied our creator responsibility policy and temporarily removed James Charles from the YouTube Partner Program.”
According to a video from YouTube’s Creator Liaison Matt Koval, the company has the right to demonetize content from a creator if they deem their actions to be “reckless, dangerous, inappropriate” on or off of the platform.
It is unknown how long the beauty guru’s channel will be demonetized.